Tuesday, February 12, 2013

TARDIS MOVES TO ARIZONA

Yep, TARDIS  has a new owner. She has moved to Arizona. It was hard to let her go, however, I had lost my vision for her. Originally, I began building her so my husband and I could take her sailing. We began the dream together, and for over a year, that was the vision. After the separation, she was a reminder of a dead dream. I worked on her, but it just wasn't the same. I had to revise my dream; for me to sail her alone, but I lost my motivation.

After I moved to Kemah, I had to keep TARDIS parked at the canvas shop, and it was not as convenient to work on her. I would put off the work, even though she was almost finished. I was asked so many times when I would splash her. I didn't have an answer.

TARDIS was the last thread of my old life, and now it has been snipped. It is sad, but it is also the beginning of a fresh start. No more reminders of my old life, everything new. I don't regret the build, it was a good thing. I learned a lot, and made a lot of friends in the boat building community. I do wish I had been able to sail her... at least once. Maybe someday.

Last year, I had a fleet, now I don't own even one boat. I'm sure that will change at some point. I think I will start out with a kayak. I can make a dolly for it to pull behind my bike. Where there's a will, there's a way! My daughter and I are going to get snorkel gear in the next few days. There are so many fun things to do here in Key West, I will stay busy, and it will most likely involve water.

3 comments:

  1. We attended a skin on frame boat building seminar at Sail Oklahoma last fall. They used a kayak for the demonstration. Talk about a simple boat build !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A kayak should be in everyone's fleet. It is so simple to use--easier to transport than any sailboat, fast to get in and out of the water. It can go places sailboats can't. Many more bodies of water are available to kayak than sail. When I'm short of time, it is the boat I use. I have an extremely cheap plastic boat, a nice two-seater of 4mm marine ply, and a skin-on-frame. The plastic boat is used most often--it's the lightest one, and I don't have to worry about something happening to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed reading about your build of Tardis!
    Thank you for sharing and welcome to Florida.

    ReplyDelete